Our History

The first fire apparatus in Bourne came as the result of the "Progressive Society" in the various villages of the town. The Buzzards Bay P.S. apparently purchased the first firefighting equipment in the early 1900's.  A "Club house" was established at the Cohasset Hall on Main Street, Buzzards Bay. 

  • In 1907, there was a combination hook & ladder as well as a chemical engine (of some variety).
  • By 1922, horse drawn apparatus was "obsolete" and a Ford/American LaFrance pumper and 2nd chemical truck was purchased. 
  • Articles of "Incorporation" were developed in Aug 1922 making Mr. Johnson the first Fire Chief. 
  • In March 1925, the first Board of Engineers meeting was held.  At that time, 2 engines were bought for $1500. At this point there were engines in Buzzards Bay, Monument Beach, and Sagamore. 
  • In 1931 the Cohasset Hall burned.  In 1932 the Buzzards Bay Fire Station was built on its present site.  In March 1932 the town of Bourne accepted MGL.ch.48, 42, 43 for governing fire dept. 
  • In 1939 there were 6 full time and 73 call personnel with 10 trucks in service.  Buzzards Bay had Eng 1, Eng 7, Hose 1, and Ladder 1.  Monument Beach had Eng 2, Eng 3, and the Fire Patrol.  Sagamore had Eng 4.  Pocasset had Engine 5.  In 1938 the first radios were installed.
  • The Fire Chief from 1932-1936 was Chief Taylor.  Chief Wallace served from 1936-1956.  Deputy Chief Thomas J Philbrick served from 1932-1963.
  • In July 1991, Bourne Fire/Rescue & Emergency Services faced a major budgetary deficit and 12 of 36 full time fire fighters were laid off.  This resulted in the closing of two staffed fire houses and eliminated ambulance coverage south of the Cape Cod Canal.  Attempts to restore funding failed for several years until 1994 when sufficient personnel were hired to once again staff the Pocasset Station.
  • In 1994, Bourne Fire/Rescue & Emergency Services hired 8 Firefighters to restore Fire and ambulance protection to the south side of the canal.  This personnel made it possible to provided 2 Firefighters for the Pocasset Station 24 hours a day.
  • In 1997, Bourne Fire/Rescue & Emergency Services hired 4 Firefighter/Paramedics to provide 24 hour Fire/EMS response with 1 Firefighter out of the Sagamore Station.
  • In 1999, Bourne Fire/Rescue & Emergency Services hired 4 Firefighter/Paramedics to add a second person per shift to the Sagamore Station. This second person allowed for a Fire Department Ambulance to be staffed at the Sagamore Station.
  • In 2005 Construction began on Bourne Fire/Rescue & Emergency Services' new Fire Station at 51 Meeting House Lane.  This Station opened in 2006.
  • In April of 2008, Bourne Fire/Rescue & Emergency Services hired the Department’s first Fire Inspector.  This position was long overdue and focused on Fire Prevention and Fire Safety Inspections throughout town. Unfortunately, Since January 2010, the Fire Inspector position has been vacant and remains unfilled.
  • 2011 Bourne Fire/Rescue & Emergency Services received a $243,000 grant from FEMA to purchase and replace all of the Department’s (SCBA) self contained breathing apparatus and also to replace and purchase additional thermal imaging cameras. 
  • In 2013, Bourne Fire/Rescue & Emergency Services under the leadership of Chief Greene and with the support of the Honorable Bourne Board of Selectmen, received a 2 year grant to hire 8 Firefighter/Paramedics to add a 3rd firefighter to both the Sagamore and Pocasset Stations.  This grant also allowed for the promotion of 8 firefighters to the rank of Fire Lieutenant and provided company officers to the outside stations.

Annual Emergency Calls for Service

Year

1980
1990
2000
2001
2002
2003
2004
2005
2006
2007
2008
2009
2010
2011
2012
2013
2014
2015
2016

Total

1,626
1,928
2,939
3,005
3,056
3,330
3,444
3,567
3,487
3,579
3,555
3,696
3,729
3,731
4,043
4,378
4,201
4,931
4,706


130 Main St. Station 1 - Hurricane of 1938

 


Retired Engines